With some of my birthday money, I decided to get some kits from Hoopsupplies.com. I like this getting my tubing and tape from them. One of my purchases was a natural polypro hoop with a cable ribbon to put inside.
When I got the hoop and ribbon. One big question that I hadn’t considered loomed over my head like a black rain cloud….how was I supposed to get the ribbon IN THE HOOP?!
I tried just about everything I could think of. Really. I played around with this mess for two hours. I finally gave up and e-mailed Hoopsupplies. Here’s how they told me to do it. I’m telling YOU so perhaps I can save YOU two hours of frustration.
How To Get Your Cable Ribbon in Your Polypro Hoop
- Cut a piece of string that is about twice as long as your hoop.
- Grab some washer or some heavy beads. I used beads. I strung the beads on my string, which happened yarn, actually, and tied knots at the bottom of the beads so they wouldn’t fall off.
- Put the beaded end in your hoop. Feed the string in until your beads come out the other end of your the hoop.
- Tie your cable ribbon about an inch from the end to the string at the non-beaded end.
- Go to the beaded end and pull on the string, therefore pulling the cable ribbon through your polypro hoop.
- Sew your the ends of your cable so they don’t fray. Twisty ties work well, too, I’m told.
- Add your connector of choice. If you are using a friction connector, like I did, it may be hard to shove in there. Try heating the ends of the hoop up first.
- Go play! You just saved yourself two hours that I spent scratching my head!
I took my new hoop to class last night, and it’s a nice hoop. It really is. I sanded the inside and it’s beautiful to work with. Brett and Ryane oohed and ahhed over it. That felt good, I’ll admit that, considering the frustration I had with it. I also believe the ribbon itself is UV-reactive, so I’m going to take it to a Halloween party on Saturday where I believe there are going to be black lights.
Will I buy cable ribbon again? I’m not sure. Now that I have a set strategy here, I may, I wish I would have known this information beforehand. Oh, well. At least I have a pretty new hoop now, right?